Gluten Free Lower Sugar Pumpkin Pie: A Recipe Adapted For The Times
Some of the most important factors when I look for recipes are: how fast it can be made, and quality of ingredients. I don't like spending more time than I need to in the kitchen, and I can usually get a good idea of what something will taste like based on the ingredients. I developed this recipe by combining 2 great recipes for crust and pie and refined them into this quick, easy to make, rich tasting, lower sugar pie.
Almond Flour Pie Crust
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- mix almond flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt in food processor - a couple of pulses should do.
- add vanilla extract and egg. Mix.
- while mixing, add 2 tsp coconut oil. Mix all ingredients thoroughly. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds.
- add contents into pie tin and form the crust. Then bake for 9 minutes. The pie crust is now ready for the filling.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 400g pie pumpkin (butternut squash or buttercup squash also work well)
- 4 eggs
- just under 1/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 tbsp molasses
- 160g or just over 1/2 cup of whole, non-homogenized milk or coconut milk
- 2 tsp all purpose gluten free flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- whisk 4 eggs, add to food processor.
- add pie pumpkin. mix thoroughly with eggs.
- add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly in food processor.
- pour filling into crust and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Watch the Video below for a quick tutorial!
If you want to make this recipe paleo or dairy free, use full fat coconut milk instead of cow's milk. To make it a vegan pie, use your favourite egg substitute for the crust and filling.
I reduced the sugar from the original recipe to less than a quarter of what it was. If you want to reduce it further, go ahead. It should still have plenty of flavour from the rest of the ingredients (molasses, pumpkin, spices).
Serving Size: 1/8 pie
- 300 calories 12.3g Protein 20.7g Fat 21.1g Carbs
- Cholesterol: 120.6 mg Sodium: 277.8 mg Potassium: 342.2 mg Fibre: 3.2 g Sugar: 13.8 g
- Vitamin A: 61.7% RDI Vitamin C: 5.5% RDI Calcium: 16.2% RDI Iron: 13.7 RDI